The Big Pink Pig

A cooking, baking, sewing, and creating blog about life with my little pink piggies.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sorry to have been away!




Sorry to have been away for so long. I promise to add entries more regularly. In the past week we have ventured (slowly) into the world of potty training and although we are not there yet- I had NO idea what hard work this was going to be! Sigh..........oh well, while we wait for the potty training thing to click, we cook! Today we are cooking "Easy Peasy" spaghetti sauce. I came up with this recipe when I wanted to get rid of produce that I was scared would go bad over the weekend (on weekends I take dinners easy).

You'll need:

3 tomatoes
Some fresh bail (about a half a handful of leaves, washed)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup of frozen peas (one of the only veggies Laura likes, so naturally they get added to EVERYTHING)
Whole Wheat Pasta
Two cloves of garlic minced
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning

1. Heat a large skillet with the oil, medium heat. Once the oil is hot add the garlic.
2. Wash and dice the tomatoes and add them to the skillet.
3. Heat a large pot of water and cook the pasta once it boils.
4. Once the tomatoes are nice and soft, add the seasoning.
5. Next add the peas and basil.
6. Let the sauce simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes until the peas are a nice bright green.
7. Once the pasta has cooked, drain and add the sauce!

Sure to please your little ones because of its simplicity. My husband LOVES this sauce when I add ground pork. The pork's saltiness brings out the acidity in the tomatoes. It is very fresh tasting! Plus you know exactly all of the ingredients and you are leaving out all of those preservatives! (Someone once told me that if "it" can live on a shelf for years, it can live on your hips for years. Haha Kinda interesting.....)



No comments:

Post a Comment