The Big Pink Pig

A cooking, baking, sewing, and creating blog about life with my little pink piggies.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

55 Minute Homemade Bread


Oh Pig, it has been too long!  As you can see in the picture above, we have added a little lady to our family! Gracie has been so much fun, and next week she will be 6 months old!  I cannot believe it really...ahh sigh..

Anyways, we have been busy!  Busy baking bread!  Today I had to swing by the store to get some last minute items for dinner that I forgot earlier this week (I wonder how long I can use baby brain as an excuse.)  I only had to get a few things, and I really shouldn't be allowed in Target unless it is absolutely essential, so I tried to get resourceful and avoid the trip all together-for the time being that is.

Last week I made lentil-carrot meatballs and a pesto dressing.  I made extra meatballs and froze them for future use.  Today was a lazy day so I decided to use up those frozen goodies.  (I will share that recipe tomorrow.)  I already did pasta once this week so I had to utilize the meatballs another way, so subs it was!

I had no sub rolls and not a lot of time.  Thank goodness for Pinterest!  I found a great quick baguette recipe and tweaked it a bit.  When it was all said and done, we had fresh bread for dinner.


55 Minute Fresh Bread (Whole Wheat)

2 1/4 tsp of Active Yeast (or 1 packet)
2 cups Very Warm Water
2 tbsp Sugar
1 tsp salt
3 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 1/2 Cups AP Flour

1.  Preheat oven to 425.  Whisk water, yeast, and sugar together and place on preheating oven for 10 minutes.
2.  Gradually add in flour and salt.  Use a dough hook on your mixer or a strong wooden spoon.  Mix until the dough appears elastic.
3.  Separate dough into two balls and sprinkle extra flour on top so it won't stick to the board.  Separate each ball into two more balls (four total).  
4.  Roll out small balls into long strands.  Braid the two strands together and place on parchment lined baking sheet.  Repeat with two remaining strands.  ( You will have 2 loaves.)  Let it rise on the hot oven for 30 minutes.
5.  Now that the dough has risen, take a casserole dish and fill it with ice (about 3 cups, but I just filled it so it lined the dish).
6.  Place the baking dish with the bread on the top oven rack and the dish with the ice, directly below it.  The steam will accelerate the baking process.  Set your timer for 15 minutes (may take a few extra minutes 15-18, every oven is a little different).  DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN BEFORE THE 15 MINUTES IS UP.  Nothing terrible will happen, you will just ruin the steam mojo. :)

Fresh baked bread in no time!  Plus you could add flax seed or oats, really anything you wanted.

We sliced it long ways and used it as sub rolls, but it would be great garlic bread, bread with soup, or even a hearty sandwich bread.  No artificial anything which also makes this appealing!   

No comments:

Post a Comment