This recipe was born out of necessity! I had to throw dinner together without that many ingredients and used up a lot of odds and ends in the fridge, so overall this recipe was pretty darn cheap and resourceful!
3 pieces of whole wheat bread for bread crumbs
2 tablespoons of Italian Seasoning
1 Teaspoon of Garlic powder
1 Egg White with a splash of water
1 cup of flour
2 Chicken Breasts Split (I actually split my two breasts into five pieces, two for the little mouths in the house)
Left over Spaghetti Sauce
1/2 cup of shredded Mozzarella
Toast for serving
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine the first 3 ingredients into a food processor/magic bullet and pulse until breadcrumbs are made and pour into a shallow dish.
3. Pour egg wash into a shallow dish and then the flour into another shallow dish.
4. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium.
5. Dredge the chicken pieces through the flour, egg, then breadcrumbs and brown each side-about 2-3 minutes each side.
6. Once each piece is done, put them on a baking sheet and add about a tablespoon or two of spaghetti sauce and then add about a tablespoon or so of cheese.
7. Bake for 16 minutes. While you are baking toast your bread.
8. Once the chicken has cooked and the cheese is nice and melty, put it into between your pieces of toast and serve!
This was a favorite of my husband! I don't normally do sub-like sandwiches for dinner so he liked this surprise, plus it had the homemade element to it which made it a little special!