The Big Pink Pig

A cooking, baking, sewing, and creating blog about life with my little pink piggies.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Cleaning MAGIC

Graham Professional CelluCotton Beauty Coil

I'm not sure if I am nesting or just in the cleaning mood for these past few weeks!  I have been scouring the internet trying to find ways to fix little things in our house that have been driving me crazy.  For instance the mildew and rust stains in the bath tub.  Now I clean my bathroom probably twice a week--it's one of the things I am crazy about, that and the kitchen.  I will allow myself to step on the same toy for a week, but I don't miss my twice a week bathroom cleanings.  Anyways, I clean my bathroom a lot, but I could NOT get those stubborn mildew and rust stains out of the grout.  GRR!

So...after some digging I found a home remedy that was cheap and easy and made my bath tub look BRAND NEW. 

1.  Ok, so go to Sally Beauty Supply and get Cellu Cotton.  It's basically a long cotton ball that can easily be torn apart.

2.  Break the cotton coil into strip to fit your tub.

3.  Put gloves on and open your windows (it's best to do this when you will be out of the house or at night when you can shut the bathroom door so fumes don't escape and leave the bathroom window open and fan on to ventilate).

4.  In a pot/pan/bucket, pour a little bit of bleach and soak your cotton strips.  Place the strips on your mildew infected areas.  It should stick up there like caulking.

5.  Let it sit for at least 3 hours (the longer the better)

6.  Remove and rinse the area with hot water from the shower head. 

7.  Go back to the rust stains and use a magic eraser to get rid of those and then you are DONE!

Magic Eraser Trial Size:  $1.76
Cellu Cotton:  $1.99
Bleach:  Had it already

Total for a shiny new tub:  $3.75

2 comments: