The Big Pink Pig

A cooking, baking, sewing, and creating blog about life with my little pink piggies.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Peanut Buttery Brownies with Chocolate Frosting!!


So tonight we are going to a friend's house for a cookout and I volunteered to bake brownies for the event. I recently discovered the blog called Joy the Baker. Her blog is chock full of delicious baked treats and scrumptious savory bites. The thing I love about her blog is that the recipes are so easy to follow and include items that almost everyone has in their kitchen. These brownies are no doubt my husband's favorite due to the choco-pb combo. But come on, who doesn't LOVE chocolate and peanut butter??? Here is my take on Joy's tasty confection. I am including a link to her recipe because a) it's the right thing to do, and you have to check her out and b) I am not the most scientific baker so this is truly an experiment for me.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups sugar (her recipe calls for brown sugar)
2 tablespoons molasses (omit if you use brown sugar)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup peanut butter
10 Tablespoons of butter cut into smaller pieces so they will melt quicker

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 325 and grease a baking dish (Joy says to use parchment paper and then grease that, I admit I like this new method but the brownies taste just the same if you are missing the paper).

Step 2: Melt the butter and sugar in a small saucepan over MEDIUM heat. Once the butter has melted completely remove the pan from the burner and let it cool for 3-5 minutes.

Step 3: My favorite step! Add the PB and vanilla and stir until the mixture is nice and creamy. I have a picture of what the mixture should look like. Once the mixture has been blended let it cool for another 5 minutes (this step is important because you're going to add eggs next and you don't want them to cook in the mixture--this will cause a gross texture to occur, believe me I know haha)

Step 4: Add the eggs and whisk in so that they are blended in completely.

Step 5: In a large mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk together until blended.


Step 6: Slowly add the PB mixture. I like to use a hand mixer but I'm sure a spoon would do it, however be warned the mixture becomes very sticky!

Step 7: Poor into the greased baking dish and bake for 35 minutes. Joy's recipe says 25 minutes but my brownies are never cooked all the way through, maybe it's my oven, who knows, but I always have to add 10 minutes.

Step 8: Pull out and let cool completely. While cooling, add the following ingredients together in a small mixing bowl and blend until nice and fluffy with a hand mixer or some serious elbow grease.
3 tablespoons milk (I enjoy my toddler's whole milk)
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups confectionery sugar
6 tablespoons softened butter
1 cup semi-sweet chip melted (Joy calls for 3/4 cups, but our house likes chocolate)
dash of salt

Step 9: Refrigerate mixture for about 5-7 minutes (more is fine).

Step 10: Frost your brownies and ENJOY!


Let me know if you try these brownies out by leaving a comment! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment